This red plum glazed ham is sticky, delicious and incredibly pretty. The perfect ham to have in your fridge for entertaining on tap!
- 1 whole (or half) uncooked Wiltshire Ham (or cooked ham but start from step 6)
- 150ml apple juice
- 400ml water
- 10 whole peppercorns
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 4 bay leaves
- zest 1 orange
- 300g red plum jam
- 150g soft brown sugar
- 75ml sloe gin
- Step 1 Our Wiltshire cured hams and gammon boiling joint do not need soaking prior to cooking.
- Step 2 Heat oven to 160’C/140’C fan/gas mark 3. Place the ham in a deep-sided roasting tin. Pour in the apple juice and top up with 400ml water.
- Step 3 Add the spices, bay leaves and orange zest. Cover the ham tightly with foil, then bake for 5 hrs for a whole ham, 2 ½ hrs for a half ham and 1 ¾ hrs for the 1.2 gammon boiling joint.
- Step 4 Remove the ham from the oven and increase the temperature to 200’C/180’C fan/gas mark 6. Discard the juices, spices and herbs from the roasting tray.
- Step 5 Remove the skin from the ham being careful to leave a lovely fatty layer for glazing. Criss- cross the fat with a sharp knife to form a diamond pattern and return to the roasting tray.
- Step 6 If using a cooked ham just start at this stage.
- Step 7 Brush the glaze over the ham. Pop in the oven uncovered for approx. 25 mins until the ham is golden. If using a half ham or gammon boiling joint simply half the quantity of the glaze.
- Step 8 Serve hot or cold.